CIES | 17-September-2019
When you are doing IELTS Preparation, you need to go beyond the basic preparation. You also need to focus on deep analysis, devising strategies and a thorough study
We’re going to talk about the challenges you will face in scoring a band 8 and how to overcome them.
Challenges you will undergo:
IELTS listening test has many challenges that one might face and you might be likely to face one of these problems as well. But the good part about learning a challenge is that we can start preparing for it with a solution in the mean time of the exam.
· There may be British, Canadian or Australian accent. All of these have their own unique twang and pronunciation of different words. There is also a need to be familiar with some kinds of words. For example, ‘nought’ word is very common in India. It could have the meaning zero, failure or nothing based on the context in which it’s used.
· You need to hear attentively as per the pace of the audio as you’ve missed the information there’s no way of getting it back.
· You should with the proper concentration till the audio clip is done as you to listen, read and write all at the same time.
How to overcome the challenges?
Here are the ways to overcome them with the below tips.
Ø Know the Test
Each listening section is devised to test you on different skills. Let us examine each section by its purpose, the skill you will be tested on and the type of questions that you can expect.
- Section 1:
Here the difficulty level is lesser and you would be usually asked uncomplicated questions. It’s an enquiry related face to face or telephonic conversation. The enquiry could be with a tour operator, hotel receptionist or vacation planner. It would involve question and answers from both the people that are involved in the conversation. You are generally required to fill in the ’fill in the blank format’ as per the suggested word count. A fill in the blank section is also expected where you will fill basic information.
- Section 2: The task will be to find matching information or fill in the blanks with a specific word count. Here your task will be to find matching information or fill in the blanks with a specific word count. It’s mostly instruction based where a professor or management personnel will dictate detailed instructions for a student or employee to follow.
- Section 3: Here you are required to hear a discussion between a group of people which may be a presentation on a current academic topic. Here as the sections progress the complication level can be expected to rise as well. You are required to be very precise in your comprehension in order to choose the correct answer.
- Section 4: Here the main motive is to test the ability to understand complex phrasing and vocabulary. It’s generally being a lecture from a professor or an academician on a topic. Here you will be tested on your ability to grasp the core idea and answer questions related to the issue highlighted in the speech as the speaker will be talking about a study on a current issue or scientific discovery.
Ø Use the 30 seconds before the audio starts
- You need to analyze instructions and underline the keywords that make all the difference. the answer with maximum of two words or write the answer in at least two words mean different things.
- You get 30 seconds to look at the instructions and the questions. Work with underlining keywords in the questions to establish the kind of answer that is needed in quick time.
- The answer to a question could be a name, a number, a city. When you predict the answer type that’s needed, it can help you listen for the right answer when the conversation veers towards that topic.
Here are the various types of questions
Here are the various types of questions that you may face in the exam:-
- Multiple choice
- Matching information
- Sentence completion
- Table, diagram, flowchart completion
- Short answer
Ø Learn how to write your answer:
Here are 5 different tips that would work well for your benefit if employed in your skills and can save mu.ch time as well during the IELTS exam:-
Ø Knowing the Answer Sheet
You are required to write the correct answer as per the instructions next to the correct number. There are questions to refer to. Your answer might include alphabets, names, number or just the correct information within the word limit. Ensure that you go for the right answer to the right question number.
- In order to deal and cop up distracters and spelling mistakes that you may spot later, we always advice you to use a pencil and not a pen to mark answers.
- We usually advise using all uppercase in the tests or all lowercase. There is no need to worry about it since the marking is case insensitive.
Ø Listen to various audios
Fo overcoming the accent and vocabulary related challenges listen to podcasts, BBC radio, speeches, TED Talks and theo likes.
Try to listen to podcasts, BBC radio, speeches, TED Talks and Theo likes in order to overcome the accent and vocabulary related challenges
Ø Work on your concentration
In order to deal with adversity that comes with the IELTS when you miss an answer, you need to condition your mind to move on and not panic. It becomes vital in this sort of situations. Start practicing with short audios then progressing to longer audios. While preparing, taking on too much at the start can make you to feel hopeless.
Ø Learn to multitask
Usually, you get 30-40 seconds between each answer in the audio. This offers you the much-needed time to read the next question quickly. Following the question, listening to the answer and writing down the correct one at the same time is not as easy as it seems. To get better on it, try to write transcripts with professional help. You may take the guidance from the best IELTS Coaching centres in India that would guide you with simple practice sessions.
Ø Practice with timed tests
Practicing each section separately is good at the beginning habit. On the other side taking a full test can leave your mind exhausted with the effort of concentrating. Even when your initial score is decent, it should keep on your continuity at practice.
Book Your FREE IELTS Demo Classes. Check your eligibility for Canada Education & PR. Book Your Free Counseling Session with Mr. Salil Bhatia, Director & CEO, CIES by filling in the form at http://www.cies.org.in/. Get Canada PR In 6 Months*
CIES is one of the most renowned Canada Education & Immigration Consultants in Noida & Delhi NCR. We are top study abroad and overseas immigration consultants for developed countries like Canada, Australia, NZ, Singapore, US, UK… We also assist for jobs in Canada and study abroad loan for Canada. Our study abroad loan partners are HDFC Credila And Avanse. We also provide consultancy services for studies in Canada with 3 year work permit in all streams for best courses in Canada.
CIES is one of the best IELTS Coaching in Noida. We are having one on one session IELTS Coaching. Here first of all, an induction test is conducted to know the weaker areas of the students. Then the student is offered customized IELTS classes by certified and highly experienced faculty. Timely mock tests are conducted to track the student’s performance. You may witness our quality of training through numerous success stories. Apart from it, we are having an awesome infrastructure that is very convenient for students. Book Your Best IELTS Coaching Classes Today. Get Free Demo Classes. Undoubtedly, CIES is the best IELTS Coaching in Noida. We also offer weekend and online Skype classes for IELTS.