CIES | 12-July-2019
Here are some simple principles to increase your band score from 7 to 8.5 in writing. Following are the do’s and don’ts that you need to keep in mind for scoring higher in IELTS.
The Do’s of IELTS Essay
– Conciseness (8–15 words per sentence)
– Cohesion (link sentences, ideas, and paragraphs together)
– Coherence (The reader should easily understand all ideas)
– Composition (The correct essay structure should be used
-Thoroughly answer the question (all points asked in the task statement should be covered)
Band 7+ essays require
a) more complex grammatical use and variation
b) more complex vocabulary
c) more complex sentence structure
-Practice using the official writing task 2 form for 250 words and check what it looks in your own handwriting.
– Read many sample essays and topics
– There is a need to know the right structure for all essay types
– Know when to give your opinion
– Try to add examples from your own experience if asked
– Use noun groups and smart words.
– Use correct punctuations
– Essays are always formal. So, use the right tone.
– Separate the arguments “against” and “for” into different paragraphs
– While giving your opinion, use personal/possessive pronouns.
– Vary grammar
– Lead from one paragraph to another well — connecting words are vital!
– In order, to values, the reader-writer relationship, write neatly.
– In order to reflect the mature way of thinking, write with maturity.
-Take 3–5 minutes to make a plan. It conveys the positive image of you as it makes your essay more mature and organized.
–Formal and reasoned point of view, give details. Make your opinion very clear.
The Don’ts of IELTS Essay
– If your English is average, write too many words (aim for 250–265)
– Use contractions such as “shouldn’t”, “don’t”, etc
– Making overuse of connecting words (assessors expect that!)
– Mix arguments “against” and “for” in the same paragraph
– Jump from one idea to the next: link, link, link!
– Use abbreviations
– Use the wrong tone (essays are always formal)
– overuse primitive verbs (does, makes, gets) or repeat words.
– Write illegibly or cross out many things
– Use idioms inappropriately or too frequently.
– Write with bad grammar and poorly developed ideas
–Constantly looking at the clock and panic. It means behaving like a clock victim.
– Start writing in an unplanned manner.
– Avoid blank line between paragraphs
– Use simple sentences if you want a high score
– Use generalizations (“All”, “Every”) as this reflects an immature way of thinking
– Use ‘lazy’ expressions (“and so on”, “etc”).
– Use clichés as they are often too informal
– Copy part of task question
– Go off topic
– Agree with both sides — Opt for one side to make your opinion clear
– Let adrenaline make you arrogant
These tips will offer you some important points for how to pass the IELTS Writing test with a high Band Score.
Getting ideas for an IELTS essay
• Work more on your vocabulary Try to learn new words so that you will be able to take a very good guess or understand the topic.
• Read as many IELTS essays as possible in order to gain more ideas. It means to try to borrow ideas from others.
• Read as many IELTS essay topics, as possible. Why should you do it? Simply because sometimes the topics repeat in the future exams
Important! Don’t try to memorize essays. IELTS examiners are well trained to look for memorized essays and they will disqualify your work on the spot.
CIES is one of the best IELTS Coaching in Noida. We are having one on one session IELTS Coaching. Here, first of all, an induction test is conducted to know the weaker areas of the students. Then the student is offered customized IELTS classes by certified and highly experienced faculty. Timely mock tests are conducted to track the student’s performance. You may witness our quality of training through numerous success stories. Apart from it, we are having an awesome infrastructure that is very convenient for students. Book Your Best IELTS Coaching Classes Today. Visit Our Website…
CIES is one of the renowned Study Abroad & Canada Education Consultants. We offer free consultancy services for study abroad for Canada, AUS, NZ, UK, USA, and Singapore. We offer assistance for Study Abroad Loans. Our study abroad loan partners are HDFC Credila & Avanse. We also assist with jobs in Canada. We are Top Overseas Immigration Consultants for Canada. We also offer services for Canada PR. Read More….